Contractor Edmund Nuttall this week lifted in four steel arches to form the new White Horse Bridge at Wembley. The footbridge, designed by engineer Halcrow with architect Marks Barfield, provides a link over the railway to the new Wembley Stadium. Client is the London Development Agency. Steelwork was fabricated in Darlington and transported to site in 23 pieces. At 50m long and 25m wide, the finished bridge will comprise 830t of steel, held together with 10,000 bolts. In addition 5,000m 2 of granite paving and 3,500m 3 of concrete will be used for the deck and access paths.
The bridge was named after hundreds of thousands of votes were cast in a naming competition. The white horse is part of Wembley folklore.
At the first FA cup final in 1923, 100,000 fans spilled onto the pitch and a white horse called Billy, ridden in by PC George Scorey, helped clear it, allowing the match between Bolton Wanderers and West Ham to begin.