Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Hinkley Point C connection project approved

Hinkley Point C, EDF

The Department for Energy and Climate Change has approved a new electric line connection from Hinkley Point C nuclear power station.

The line, which has just received development consent, will carry the power between Bridgwater, Somerset and Seabank, near Avonmouth, from Hinkley Point. It will use the new T-pylon, designed following a competition held in 2001.

National Grid has an agreement in place with EDF Energy to provide the connection, and it needs to be constructed before Hinkley Point C starts generating electricity. Last year EDF and China General Nuclear Corporation (CGN) reached an agreement to build the scheme. Under its terms, EDF will take a 66.5% stake in Hinkley Point C, with CGN taking the remaining 33.5%. The agreement is subject to a final investment decision by EDF Energy, which is expected imminently.

The Planning Inspectorate’s director for major applications and plans, Mark Southgate said: “The decision announced today supports the recommendation made by the Planning Inspectorate and is the 48th application for a nationally significant infrastructure project to be examined.”

Energy and Climate Change Minister Lord Bourne said: “This is a step forward in the Hinkley Point C project, which will play a crucial part in our plan to provide clean, affordable and secure energy for hardworking families and businesses.

“Hinkley represents a major boost for the UK and local economy – powering nearly six million homes and creating more than 25,000 jobs with a significant number for the people of Somerset.”

 

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.