Matthew Hancock has been appointed the new construction minister, following David Cameron’s ministerial reshuffle, after Michael Fallon was moved to defence secretary.
The former skills and enterprise minister takes over all of Fallon’s portfolios, which include business minister, energy minister, and minister of state for Portsmouth.
The other notable ministerial moves which affect construction and civil engineering are as follows:
- John Hayes has been appointed as transport minister, with Clare Perry promoted to parliamentary undersecretary of state at the Department for Transport. Stephen Hammond, formerly transport minister, is leaving the Government.
- Brandon Lewis has been appointed housing and planning minister. He was previously parliamentary under-secretary of state for the department for communities and local government.
- Nick Boles, previously responsible for planning development and deregulation, has been appointed as minister for state jointly for business and education.
- Amber Rudd has been appointed as an energy minister, replacing Greg Barker, who led the Green Deal for the government.
- Penny Mordaunt becomes a minister at the Department for Communities and Local Government.
- Liz Truss has been promoted to environment secretary in place of Owen Paterson.