The body of the fourth miner trapped after a cave-in at a gold mine in Ecuador has been recovered.
The discovery of the final missing miner comes after hopes that he would be found alive.
The miners were trapped on October 15 when a tunnel collapsed 150 metres below the surface at the Casa Negra mine near Portovelo in southern Ecuador, 400 km southwest of the capital Quito.
A frantic search was begun but two of their bodies were found the next day. Rescuers had expressed hope of finding the remaining two miners alive.
But five days later, rescuer Georgi Ramirez told Ecuavisa television that workers had found a third body.
Authorities have now announced that the final body has been recovered.
President Rafael Correa visited the mine, which is run by local company Minesadco, and said “all that was humanly possible” had been done to rescue the trapped miners.
The grim news and grieving relatives contrasted to last week’s euphoric celebration in Chile of the rescue of 33 miners who had been trapped underground for 69 days.