Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Fallon welcomes Toshiba nuclear deal

Energy minister Michael Fallon has hailed a deal that will see electronics giant Toshiba invest in the company planning a new nuclear power station in West Cumbria.

Toshiba this morning announced that it was acquiring a 60% share in energy firm NuGeneration, with GDF Suez retaining the other 40%.

NuGeneration plans to builds three nuclear reactors at the Moorside plant in the North West, with the first to be operational within a decade.

Fallon said: “The Moorside new nuclear project will bring at least £10bn of investment and is expected to create up to 21,000 jobs, while also providing a reliable source of low carbon energy for over 6M homes.

“This announcement is a significant step towards new reactors likely to come online in 2024 and shows how attractive the UK is for investors”.

Toshiba president Hisao Tanaka said: “We welcome the closing of the contract, which reconfirms Toshiba’s, GDF SUEZ’s and Westinghouse’s commitment to build three AP1000 reactors at Moorside.

“We are confident this project will support the UK in meeting the challenges of securing a stable, affordable future energy supply and cutting CO2 emissions.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.