Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Energy deal sets up London as sustainable showcase

News

LONDON MAYOR Ken Livingstone and energy giant EDF Energie this week signed a deal to make the capital a test bed for sustainable energy.

More than 40 schemes are already planned around the city, with each applying different technologies to different consumer groups.

Large scale projects like new combined heat and power stations and neighbourhood wind turbines will demonstrate to the world's top 20 cities what is actually achievable, said London's deputy mayor Nicky Gavron.

Small scale introduction of photovoltaic cells on City Hall this summer will also set an example that other public buildings will be expected to follow, she said.

EDF chief executive Vincent de Rivaz said he expected to invest £25M in the schemes by 2010.

The joint venture will see EDF fund 81% of the project costs with the mayor's London Climate Change Agency contributing the remaining 19%.

Designs for the first phase of developments are expected to be completed early this summer with the first electricity being produced for domestic and industrial use next year.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.