Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Edinburgh dumps C-charge and transport plans

News

EDINBURGH's EMPHATIC vote against congestion charging this week has forced the city to shelve public transport improvements and cut road maintenance programmes.

'The largest raft of money which was for road maintenance will be lost, ' said Edinburgh city council head of transport Keith Rimmer Edinburgh voters killed off the city's congestion charging plans on Monday after 74% voted against them in a high turn out poll.

The scheme was also to have funded a tram line extension, extra bus services, three park and ride schemes and the creation of pedestrian zones.

. Rimmer said investment in road maintenance had been 'too low' in the past and needed to be increased to enhance the life expectancy of Edinburgh's roads.

'We now can't enhance our roads to the level we want, ' he said.

Of three proposed tram lines, only lines 1 and 2 will now be built.

The proposed route for line 3 connecting the city centre to the south eastern suburbs is due to be submitted to the Scottish Parliament this summer.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.