The Institution is honoured to receive the generous bequest of the late George Ernest Marshall (M), a graduate of Durham University and a former director of the Northumberland Whinstone Company.
Marshall graduated in 1934. He joined the Institution in 1937 and, during his training, worked with several consultants before going into municipal engineering. In 1940 he became a corporate member.
In 1950 he joined the quarrying firm where his father had worked and stayed there until he retired in 1968. After retiring he devoted himself to his favourite hobbies of travelling and photography.
By 1990 he had been a corporate member for 50 years. In 1995 he sent a £500 donation to the library to mark his resignation as a member because he no longer had connections with civil engineering.
In December 1997, he died at the age of 84 and in his will he divided his estate between four charities, one of which is the Institution. The bequest amounts to £320,000 but Marshall placed no restrictions on the way in which the funds may be used.
It is not often that the Institution is so grandly acknowledged by those whom it has been proud to have among its members. The Institution is now in the fortunate position of having to decide the most appropriate uses to which these funds will be put. Some lasting testimonial to Marshall's generosity will be established
It is salutory to reflect that those of whom we know so little may in fact be among our greatest friends and admirers. Marshall's gesture must reflect the immense satisfaction he gained from a lifetime in civil