Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Deepwater Horizon well 'no longer a threat'

The ruptured well which pumped almost 5M barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico has been secured and no longer constitutes a threat, it has been confirmed.

A new valve known as a blowout preventer was placed over the well on Friday after crews replaced a damaged device.

This will now be examined by investigators looking into the causes of the disaster.

Incident commander Thad Allen said: “Under the direction of the federal science team and US government engineers, BP used the Development Driller II to successfully install a fully functioning and tested blowout preventer (BOP) on the cemented Macondo 252 well.”

“This is an important milestone as we move toward completing the relief well and permanently killing the Macondo 252 well. I will continue to provide updates as necessary,” he said.

He said there was no apparent release of hydrocarbons during the operation.

The ruptured well has been shut since July 15. The Deepwater Horizon rig exploded on April 20, killing 11 workers and causing the worst environmental disaster to hit the region.

The oil giant has estimated the cost of tackling the disaster to $8bn (£5.2bn) so far.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.