DOROTHY 'MICKY' Brown, who died on 11 November 1997, was one of the first women members of the ICE.
Dorothy Elgood was born in 1922 and went to Burma as a child where her father was professor of civil engineering at Rangoon University. He returned to the UK due to illness and became a lecturer at Bristol University.
Dorothy went to Cheltenham Ladies' College and left at the beginning of the war. She joined the ATS and served as a commissioned officer on anti-aircraft sites and as liaison officer with the RAF at Tangmere.
After the war, Dorothy read civil engineering at Bristol University. Her first jobs, specialising in soil mechanics, included the design of complex foundations, embankments and earth dams. She founded consultant Parsons Brown and was involved in a variety of projects including oil jetties at Milford Haven and redevelopment of London's St Katharine's Dock.
Dorothy was a leading member of the Women's Engineering Society and will be remembered for her paper 'Engineers' command of English' published in Proceedings in May 1980, the year she retired.