Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Crossrail restarts piling and utilities work after explosion

Crossrail restarted most of its piling and utility diversion work on Monday after an explosion last Wednesday.

Piling and utility excavation was stopped following an electrical explosion on its High Holborn site in central London.

The incident was caused by a strike on an underground cable at lunchtime on 12 December. It is unknown how the accident occurred.

The Health & Safety Executive is investigating the incident but further details are unavailable until the inquiry is complete, said a Crossrail spokesman.

Barhale employee Barry McGeehan was injured in the explosion and is being treated for burns.

Following the explosion Crossrail said instructions had been issued to all contractors repeating procedures for approving and undertaking below ground works.

The Crossrail spokesman was unable to confirm what detailed information was used to locate and identify services, whether sites had a 3D model available and how many unknown or unidentified services it had been finding.

Crossrail declined to comment on how the stoppage would affect construction schedules but there remains an enormous amount of services location, strengthening and diversion to be done.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.