Contractor Costain today secured a £397M contract to build the waste facilities for the Greater Manchester Waste PFI.
Costain will deliver £405M of waste facilities for the Viridor/Laing joint venture that yesterday signed a 25-year PFI contract with the Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority to build and operate waste facilities and services.
The project comprises the design, construction and commissioning of a total of 44 different facilities spread across 26 locations, including:
- 25 household waste recycling centres, 16 of which are being completely redeveloped
- Five mechanical biological treatment plants (each approx 100,000t per annum)
- Four in-vessel composting plants (each approx 44,000t per annum)
- One material recovery facility ( 16t per hour)
- Seven transfer loading stations
- Two green waste facilities
“This is a major project win for Costain,” said Costain chief executive Andrew Wyllie.
“We have deliberately targeted the waste sector where we can leverage our complementary process engineering skills and expertise from our water operations. We intend to build a major presence in this rapidly expanding UK and European regulated marketplace, and look forward to building the waste services business into one of Costain’s leading divisions.”