Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Copenhagen metro hit by Cologne fallout

Plans to build an extension to Copenhagen’s subway were on hold this week following the tunnel collapse thatkilled two people in Cologne earlier this month.

Danish politicians have demanded assurances that the proposed construction method is safe, after a six storey building in Cologne collapsed into an underground excavation for a new subway.

Both projects involve work below the water table, and both involve the use of top down construction in deepexcavations.

“There is still a debate going on about the risks,” said a Copenhagen metro spokesman.

“There is another meeting in the Parliament this Thursday about the issue.

“The concern is very much a result of the accident in Cologne last month. The parliamentary committee is asking more questions to make sure the construction work is safe,” said the spokesman.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.