Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

CAT's cream

Letters

The reason behind our CAT assessments is to ensure our major contracts are delivered by organisations that demonstrate the highest standards of business capability.

Since 2003 each company's assessment has been a dominant factor in prequalication to tender. The current value we place on CAT scores is 60%. The remaining 40% is based on assessment of past performance. The most capable and highest performing companies get most opportunities to tender for major contracts. We include MACs and major projects valued at over £30M.

However, the process needed to be ongoing to provide assurance and ensure continued improvement.

We consulted the supply chain a year ago and stated that the results should no longer remain commercial-incondence. Overwhelmingly suppliers supported publishing the scores.

The focus for the Agency has always been to establish a positive and responsible attitude towards an open assessment process.

Ginny Clarke, procurement director and chief highway engineer, Highways Agency, 123 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9HA

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.