Heathrow Airport has rubbished claims that the government is going cold on expansion, following national news reports that the third runway will not be included in the Conservatives’ manifesto.
According to The Sunday Telegraph, Heathrow expansion will be left out of the Conservatives’ manifesto due to pressure from Boris Johnson, a famous opponent of Heathrow’s third runway, and other Tory critics.
But a spokesman for the party told the paper it will be left out as expansion was announced last year, meaning there is no need to repeat it. Heathrow has denied there is a lack of support for growth at the airpoirt.
“The Prime Minister has been clear that expanding Heathrow is critical to securing Britain’s future after Brexit – connecting the country to new trading markets and spreading growth across all of Britain,” said a Heathrow spokesperson.
“Those facts haven’t changed and in addition to the Prime Minister’s backing, politicians from across the political divide and businesses in every corner of Britain want to see Heathrow expansion delivered as soon as possible. That’s why we’re working around the clock to deliver Britain’s new runway by 2025.”
The Conservatives’ manifesto is expected to be published early next week. Heathrow expansion programme director Phil Wilbraham said last week that a Conservative win would make it easier to gain planning permission for the third runway.
The airport has recently started searching for locations for four offsite construction hubs. A government consultation on Heathrow expansion is taking place until 25 May, after which the airport will be hosting its own public consultation starting late this summer.