A further 59 construction workers have been made redundant following Carillion’s collapse, the Official Receiver has announced.
The redundancies affect workers on paused construction sites, who will be laid off this week. A further 101 redundancies related to back-office functions and engineering support roles were announced last Thursday.
But the Insolvency Service said it has safeguarded a further 4,418 jobs in Carillion’s services functions after arrangements were made to transfer prison facilities management and defence bases catering and cleaning contracts to new providers.
A spokesperson for the Official Receiver said: “Ongoing employment has been confirmed for more than a third of Carillion’s workforce so far as part of the liquidation.
“There is a lot of interest from potential purchasers in the contracts the company delivered which will see the number of jobs safeguarded continue to increase.”
So far 6,668 jobs have been saved and 989 staff have been made redundant during the liquidation process.
“Most employees who have transferred so far have done so on existing or similar terms and I will continue to facilitate this wherever possible as we work to find new providers for Carillion’s other contracts,” a spokesperson for the Official Receiver added, “The process to find new suppliers to deliver Carillion’s contracts continues.
“I am continuing to engage with staff, elected employee representatives and unions to keep them informed as these arrangements are confirmed.”
Employees who have been made redundant are entitled to claim for statutory redundancy payments and should contact the Jobcentre Plus’ Rapid Response Service.