Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Brazil plans hydro plants in Peru

Energy ministers from Brazil and Peru have met to discuss progress of their plans of enhancing electricity production in the Andean nation.

Speaking at a news conference after the meeting, Brazil’s mines and energy minister Edson Lobao said that the first five power stations - to be built in Peru at a cost of around £7.8bn ($13bn) - will produce a combined total of 6,000MW per year from 2015.

He added that the Latin American nations are in talks to construct a total of 15 hydroelectric power stations.

These stations are expected to generate 15,000MW of electricity, of which 80% will be shipped to Brazil and the remaining 20% will be consumed by Peru, according to the private Agencia Estado news agency and other local media.

It is said that Brazil, the largest Latin American nation, is expanding its electricity grid to link jungle dams to industrial centres and reduce costly diesel-fuel generation.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.