The civil engineering category drew a massive entry in this year’s British Construction Industry Awards. The award is open to projects valued from £3M to £50M. Here is the shortlist.
- The awards will be presented at a gala dinner on Wednesday 14 October. To book a table at the event download a form at www.bciawards.org.uk
M8 Harthill Footbridge Replacement
The new M8 Harthill Footbridge is a landmark structure midway between Edinburgh and Glasgow, crossing Scotland’s busiest motorway. Its main span is 90m long and features a steel double helix design.
- Commissioning authority: Transport Scotland
- Principal engineer: Buro Happold
- Main contractor: Raynesway Construction
Lakeside Energy Waste Plant
This striking building encases a 1300m³ reinforced concrete storage bunker, an incinerator grate to burn the waste, steam boilers to feed the turbine and other ancillary processes.
- Commissioning authority: Lakeside Energy From Waste
- Principal engineer: Royal Haskoning
- Main Contractor: BAM Nuttall
Liverpool Canal Link
The Liverpool Canal Link has extended the Leeds-Liverpool canal to the Liverpool South Docks enhancing a World Heritage Site. It passes through an area of derelict land and will provide a catalyst for the regeneration of the area.
- Commissioning authority: British Waterways
- Principal designer & engineer: Arup
- Main contractors: Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering/BAM Nuttall/Pierse Contracting
Wood Lane Station
The new Wood Lane station occupies an extremely tight site located above an existing Central Line cutting and tunnels. Complex challenges were overcome in its construction without disruption to the Tube network.
- Commissioning authority: London Underground/Westfield
- Principal architect: Ian Ritchie Architects
- Principal engineer: Waterman Civils
- Main contractor: Costain
The Ashford Ring Road project
The project is described as “de-ringing the ring road” by transforming it into a series of interconnected town centre streets accommodating up to 10,000 vehicles a day.
- Commissioning authority: Kent County Council
- Principal designer: Whitelaw Turkington
- Principal engineer: Jacobs
- Main contractor: Jackson Civil Engineering
The Infinity Bridge
The Infinity Bridge is formed from two steel arches that support a precast concrete deck. At 20m the main arch span makes the footbridge one of the longest in the country.
- Commissioning authority: Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council
- Principal designer: Expedition Engineering
- Principal engineer: WYG Engineering
- Main contractor: Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering
Brigg Lane Freight Enhancement
The new Brigg Line Freight Enhancement adds substantial train capacity from Immingham to the Trent Valley Power Stations and the strategic freight network.
- Commissioning authority: Network Rail
- Principal engineer: Arup
- Main contractor: Carillion Civil Engineering
Dounreay Shaft Isolation project
This project involved the construction of a high quality grout curtain around the 65m deep Dounreay Shaft, created in the 1950s as part of an offshore discharge tunnel. This innovative geotechnical project will significantly contribute to long-term environmental improvement in the region.
- Commissioning authority: Dounreay Site Restoration
- Principal engineer: Halcrow Group
- Main contractor: BAM Ritchies