The British Construction Industry Awards recognise outstanding achievement in civil engineering and construction. We begin our build up to the gala awards dinner on 14 October by looking at schemes shortlisted for the small civil engineering award.
This year 41 schemes from the UK and abroad were shortlisted by the judging panel from over 180 entries. This week we begin our build up to the gala awards dinner on 14 October by looking at schemes shortlisted for the small civil engineering award.
- To book a table at the dinner download a form at www.bciawards.org.uk
New base for an organisation that develops art projects for people with learning disabilities, constructed on a brownfield site to a tight budget.
- Client: First Movement Trust
- Architect: Clash Associates
- Engineer: Price & Myers
- Contractor: Wildgoose
St Neots, Cambridgeshire
Shared workspaces for creative workers and innovators, designed to accommodate around 14 companies.
- Client: Huntingdon District Council
- Architect: 5th Studio
- Structural engineer: Scott Wilson
- Contractor: SDC Special Projects
Refurbishment of a 1960s building to integrate a four storey, timber-clad teaching block, an administration link block and a brick-clad 300-seat lecture theatre.
- Client: Goldsmiths
- Principal Architect: A-EM Studio
- Structural engineer: Akera Engineers Contractor: Como Group
National Theatre, London
A new 200m2 building on an unused part the National Theatre’s roof, built from tubular mild steel and clad in polycarbonate panels with a tensile pvc membrane roof.
- Client: National Theatre
- Architect: A-EN Studio
- Structural Engineer: Delstar Engineering/Flint & Neill
- Contractor: National Theatre
Dunraven School Sports Hall
A building envelope made from recycled sea containers houses a full height, four court sports hall.
- Client: Lambeth Council
- Architect: SCABAL
- Engineer: Furness Partnership
- Contractor: Urban Space Holdings
Appletreewick, North Yorkshire
Field barns in the Yorkshire Dales National Park are being reused as sustainable holiday accommodation.
- Client: Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- Designer: Feilden Clegg Bradley
- Studios Contractor: Linford Group