Northamptonshire County Council has awarded Balfour Beatty to contract to buildt he A45 Northampton to Daventry Development Link Road.
The road will improve transport links between Northampton and Daventry, and improve access to the M1.
The project involves construction of approximately 6km of single carriageway. The link road will extend between junction 15 of the M1 and connect to the existing A45 west of Weedon Village.
It will run parallel and on the south west side of the M1 for more than half its length before heading south-west towards Daventry.
The works will include the construction of nine structures:
- Dodmore Rail Bridge across the west coast mainline
- Dodmore Canal Bridge across the Grand Union Canal
- Whilton Brook Bridge across the River Nene
- Brockhall Road Bridge carrying a minor road over the link road
- Brington Road Bridge carrying minor road over the link road
- Green Bridge-pedestrian and ecological structure over the link road
- Upper Heyford Farm Bridge-carrying a vehicular accommodation bridge over the link road
- Hollandstone Farm Culvert-carrying the link road over a watercourse and footpath
- Hollandstone Farm Crossing, a farm accommodation bridge to the south of road
There will be three roundabouts, one at each end of the scheme, connecting the road into the existing A45, and a further roundabout at the crossing of the link road with the A5 trunk road.
Extensive earthworks will be required for the scheme, with cuttings and embankments of up to 10m depth and 10m in height respectively.
The early contractor involvement scheme is expected to run for two years.