Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Ask the ICE

ICE news

This week ICE news starts a regular 'Ask the ICE' section. If you have any questions regarding your qualifications, training or routes to membership, send them to us and we will put them to the ICE.

I read with great interest Mark Hansford's article on how Sartor 4 will offer a clearer and simpler route to chartered status for engineers with a three year BEng honours degree.

However, I have two questions.

First, I would like EC (UK) and the ICE to clarify whether there is any prospective route from BSc (Hons) to chartered status. I am currently studying towards a BSc (Hons) in civil engineering at Leeds Metropolitan University (LMU) on a part time basis, while holding a job as a technician at Lincolnshire County Council. The course is accredited by the ICE for Jon Prichard, professional development director at the ICE replies:

First, an IEng degree is orientated toward the more practical aspects of the industry than the CEng degree, which has greater theory content.

If a member with an IEng accredited degree wanted to achieve the CEng educational base, then options would depend on the individual's role and responsibility and also the time and resources available to the member.

If time is of the essence, then the member should apply to the Institution for an academic assessment. The assessment will tell them what courses or exams they need to complete.

Alternatively if the member has incorporated engineer, but this seems to be as far as it is possible to go for anyone tackling the BSc route.

Has EC (UK) considered putting the scheme being considered for BEng graduates into place for the BSc Hons graduates as well?

Secondly, is it really necessary to do matching sections from BSc (Hons) to achieve the equivalent of BEng (Hons) and attain IEng status? Surely an honours degree is an honours degree, and whether it is a BSc or BEng should not much matter.

Yours, a confused student.

undertaken projects that required them to deepen and broaden their technical knowledge, the Institution has this week launched Career Appraisal - Academic Review, which will check to see if the member has developed the required understanding.

The existing mature candidate route also allows progression to CEng for those with a BSc.

Secondly, you are correct:

The degree course title does not infer the level of registration.

This is determined by the JBM during the degree accreditation visit.

Therefore the important thing for a student to note is whether the course is accredited or not, and thereafter the level of accreditation needs to fit in with the career needs of the individual.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.