Conceived by Albert the Prince Concert after the 1851 Great Exhibition.
Designed by a multidisciplinary group of Royal Engineers, sculptors and craftsmen under the direction of Capt Francis Fowke and General Henry Scott.
Construction started in 1867.
Queen Victoria opened the hall on 29 March 1871.
It is elliptical not round - 64m long by 56m wide The original 7,000 capacity has been reduced to 5,500.
1.2M people visit each year.
The 400t glazed dome was once the world's largest.
The original ventilation system broke down in the 1870s and was never repaired.
The Henry Wood Promenade Concerts moved to the Hall in 1941 after the Queen's Hall was destroyed in an air raid.
The Hall is run by the Council of the Corporation of the Hall of Arts & Sciences. Its royal charter states that it must be used for 'advancement of science and art'.
The original £200,000 cost of the hall was part-funded through the sale of 1,300 permanent seats to subscribers at £100 each.
The current £66M refurbishment project is part funded by the Heritage & Arts Council Lottery Fund and £4M still needs to be raised.