Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

15 years and counting. . .history of the Colnbrook plant

CONCRETE ENGINEERING

Waste management firm Grundon fi rst considered building an incinerator on the Colnbrook site in 1991.

Eight years later it submitted its first planning application, which was approved the year after in 2000.

However, with Grundon committing to cover just 15% of the costs, it took the firm a further five years to attract the remaining 85% from private funds.

To guarantee this massive private investment, Grundon entered into a 50/50 joint venture with rival waste firm Viridor to create the project's client, Lakeside Energy from Waste.

A Japanese joint venture of Itochu/Takuma won the main contract to build the plant and appointed Nuttall to carry out a £32M package of civil engineering works.

After a 15 year build up to the project, the client was keen to see the plant built quickly.

Itochu/Takuma set a 33 month construction programme, which is due to complete in June 2008.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs