Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

$100bn needed to bring US power system to capacity, warn experts

AS MUCH as $100bn of investment is needed to bring the US power transmission system up to modern standards, US industry experts have said.

The warning came after the country's worst ever blackout, affecting 50M people across the eastern states in August.

It is thought mechanical failure combined with human error caused the progressive shutdown.

'The issue in the US is underinvestment, ' said Luther Dow, director of power delivery at industry association the Electric Power Research Institute.

Generating capacity and customer demand for electricity has dramatically outstripped transmission capacity. 'In the last decade there has been a 35% increase in load but the increase in transmission capacity has been only 18%, ' Dow stated.

Current investment plans show power generation capacity continuing to outgrow transmission capability at the same rate over the coming five years, he added.

Problems arise when separate parts of the transmission system are overwhelmed. When one route fails, power surges through alternative channels.

A study of the national transmission grid carried out by the US Department of Energy (DoE) in May last year also revealed that annual maintenance spending on the transmission network has fallen by $120M a year since 1975, to just over $2bn.

Under-investment is against a backdrop of rapidly rising demand for electricity.

In the Eastern Interconnection zone 40% of transmission lines operate at their limit more then half the time.

In its study the DoE noted that 'as customer demand in an area surpasses the import capability of the transmission lines serving that area, operators are forced to meet demand with more expensive local generation rather than less expensive generation from somewhere else in the region'.

North America's electricity transmission infrastructure is fragmented. It is 73% privately owned, with federal and state owned public utilities operating the remaining 27%.

Historically there has been relatively little co-ordination between transmission firms.

This has resulted in weak links between geographical regions and variations in equipment and operating protocols, said director of academic body the Electric Power Institute, Ahmed Nafisi.

Transmission lines, substations, switches, circuit breakers and computers used to monitor and control power as it is transmitted are also out of date.

Parts of the power system are as much as 50 years old, said Dow.

Although modern fourth generation IT control and safety systems exist, utilities companies usually still use first generation software, claimed PB Power senior vice president Bob Ballard.

Ballard and Talati put the bill for modernising transmission infrastructure at between $50bn and $100bn.

To achieve the necessary upgrade within this price bracket work should be carried out using conventional, tried and tested technology, they said.

And modernisation also faces major planning hurdles. In the face of public opposition to high voltage pylons, utilities are forced to put cables in trenches at vastly greater cost.

INFOPLUS www. nceplus. co. uk/magazine

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.